
Thanks to a second opinion from a forensic scientist, homicide charges against a Pennsylvania man have officially been dropped.
The Lehigh County District Attorney's Office announced last week that Ethan Bastien, 22, will not be charged with the October 2, 2023 shooting death of Sian Cartagena, 18.
“After a full evaluation of all of the evidence and in consultation with this expert, we are now convinced that the death of Sian Cartagena is more likely than not a suicide,” the district attorney's office said.
According to police officials, Cartagena died of a bullet wound to the back of the head from a firearm recently purchased by Bastien.
After the death was originally ruled a homicide, a second forensic examiner told officials the death was most likely a suicide. This forensic specialist is particularly interested in gun deaths and bullet entry wounds.
According to 69 News, the first medical examiner was the one that recommended a second opinion.
Bastien had been in prison since his arrest in October, but was released on August 15.
"Many people don't understand that even though we make an arrest, we still continue to do an investigation," Lehigh County District Attorney Gavin Holihan said. "We follow up on facts, we look for new information, and you know, we don't stop.”
Cartagena was originally found unconscious on October 2 by Bastien in her Allentown home. Bastien was reportedly in the room when he heard the gunshot go off and had gun residue on his hand.
However, Bastien said he handled the gun following the shooting by pushing it away, telling the police the death was a suicide after calling 911.
Cartagena ultimately died on October 4, 2023. The coroner ruled the death a homicide, leading to Bastien's arrest and homicide charge.
Following her daughter's death, Cartagena's mother started a GoFundMe page to raise money for the cost of her funeral services.
On the charity page, Cartagena’s mother said her daughter was in an abusive relationship with Bastien.
Following the news of the withdrawn charges, Cartagena's mother expressed dismay at the decision.
“I don’t feel this is fair and that any justice was served,” she told 69 News following the decision. “I don’t feel like this is adding up.”
And while the charges have been dropped, officials still believe Bastien could be responsible.
"The evidence is solid, but the conclusions that we draw from the evidence are where we wanted more confirmation," Holihan said.
Amy E. Sonin, the attorney for Bastian, spoke about the news to 69 News.
"He's obviously pleased with that result," Sonin said. "We're pleased with that result.”